Our Personal Injury Firm Answers Frequently Asked Questions

Get the facts about your right to recovery

pic-injury-faqsGeorgelis Injury Law Firm, P.C. is a family-owned personal injury practice in Lancaster County. We are dedicated to giving you high-quality, stress-free representation. As part of our peace-of-mind guarantee, we answer your questions as candidly and promptly as we can so you know where you stand and what to expect.

Read our answers to frequently asked questions about personal injury and wrongful death, and then call our office to schedule your free initial consultation.

Get answers to your questions about your personal injury claim

Get the answers you need by calling Georgelis Injury Law Firm, P.C. at 717-394-3004 or contacting our firm online to schedule your free initial consultation. Our attorneys are available evenings and weekends. We can also meet with you at your home, hospital or rehabilitation center. Our office provides free parking.

How long can I wait to sue after I am injured because of someone’s negligence?

In most cases, you have two years from the date of your injury to file a lawsuit against the person or corporation responsible. If you miss the deadline, you generally forfeit your right to sue.

Back to top

How soon should I contact an attorney?

Even though you have two years to file your suit, you should consult a lawyer immediately. Our attorneys begin an investigation of your claim while witnesses’ memories are still fresh and before any evidence has been destroyed. This increases your chances of success.

Back to top

What types of damages are generally available in personal injury cases?

The types of damages available depend on the facts of your case, but may include:

  • Medical costs
  • Future medical care
  • Rehabilitation
  • Disabilities
  • Lost wages
  • Diminished earning capacity
  • Disfigurement
  • Pain and suffering
  • Emotional distress
  • Reduced enjoyment of life

Back to top

Can I sue for damages if my loved one was killed because of negligence?

You can sue for wrongful death if your family member was fatally injured because of another person’s or a corporation’s negligence. Your loved one’s estate brings the claim on behalf of the beneficiaries.

Back to top

What types of damages are generally available in wrongful death cases?

Depending on the facts of your case, you might receive:

  • Funeral and burial costs
  • Medical expenses associated with the injury
  • Lost past and future income
  • Loss of benefits — such as health insurance, Social Security or pension
  • Loss of companionship, friendship, moral support, guidance and love
  • Loss of services — including home management, lawn care, cleaning, cooking, accounting, security and childcare
  • Emotional suffering and distress

Back to top

What is my case worth?

The value of your case depends on the specific facts of your accident and injuries. Our attorneys conduct a full case review at your no-obligation consultation. We can advise you of what your case is likely to be worth.

Back to top

The negligent corporation and its insurance company have already offered to settle the case. Should I settle?

Do not accept an offer to settle before you have spoken with a qualified personal injury lawyer. Once you sign a settlement agreement, you may be giving up your right to recover additional compensation.

Back to top

Will my case go to trial?

Most personal injury claims are settled before trial. Generally, a settlement reduces costs and stress for our clients and gets them paid sooner. However, we recommend trial if it advances your interests.

Back to top

What if I can’t afford to pay an attorney to handle my case?

Our law firm handles your case on contingency. This means you do not pay us any fees until you recover compensation, at which point we are paid a percentage of the award.

Back to top